- God is holy, but the essence of God is love. He loves us without a cause or a reason.
- God is kind, but never has to apologise or repent.
- Sin has to be punished and has been punished. He is righteous is making us righteous, He is not pitiful or merciful in making us righteous.
- Wisdom Books: Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes
- Job is the oldest book in the Bible, he should have lived before Abraham.
- Science is mentioned in Job, long before it was discovered; while Israel and laws were not part of the book.
- The root cause of Job’s problems is self-righteousness.
- God has dealings (discipline) but not through sickness. He allowed a certain movement to bring out the root problem.
- Job’s stories won’t happen to us as we have a lawyer with us while Job didn’t.
- Disease start from the feet to the head (from hell); healing starts from the head to the feet (from heaven).
- Our God is very compassionate.
- When Job’s three friends come, the devil was no longer mentioned.
- When the truth is no longer in season, it will cause a lot of problems.
- There are trials, and the more upright, we will get more persecution for God’s name.
- The first friend argues from experience. There is no wisdom from experience.
- The second friend argues from tradition.
- Marsh: sin (slimy)
- The third friends argues by the law, logic.
- The 3 are truths, but not truthfully applied; does not apply to Job, the righteous man.
- Our suffering is not an act of God punishing our sin, but the devil and other people’s persecution.
- All scripture is inspired by The Lord but not all is meant for the believer.
- 42: Completion; end of journey. 42nd generation is Christ’s generation.
Job’s three friends:
Eliphaz - from experience
Blidad - from tradition
Zophar - from legality
- Job referred to himself as a challenge to the three friends about 40 times in this chapter, but God only 5 times.
- Don’t kill/humiliate people over tradition, experience or legality.
- There are people who are upright, but they are self-righteous and only want to serve as benefactor/patron.
- God was not his problem, the devil was.
- Human nature would rather condemn and justify ourselves than God.
- Job said The Lord gives and take, but the truth is God only gives salvation, it is eternal and he never takes.
- Elihu is a type of Christ, the go between.
- When Elihu spoke, Job didn’t argue.
- The devil will always point to sin and generational curse as a reason for our problems.
- God wants us well, and sickness is the devil’s act.
- Ransom: atonement.
- God has found a ransom and so He can be good and righteous to us.
- God can restore to us and renews us even younger and better than before.
- God didn’t argue about Hob, He argued His grandeur.
- This life is only temporal, don’t condemn the Bible to justify your righteousness. We are no match for God, the Bible will last longer than our lives.
- The devil instigated, but The Lord strengthens and glorifies.
- The devil thought he could threaten Job, but ends up meeting God.
- Unbelief is having a higher opinion of self than God.
- Don’t be shocked when we have bad thoughts, look towards God’s righteousness and compassion.
- There is no measurement of how long the menorah is, only the weight. It is not about how big anything is, but about God in us that is important.
- Even for those who do wrong against you, do not hold grudges, pray for them and God will restore to you double.
- God restores and blesses doubly.
- End of a trial - God will make it satisfactory for us.
- Every time we go through a trial, pray to Him and remove self-gain/pride/fear and look towards His righteousness.
- Pass by the trial and justifying or condemnation and skip to the end and pray to Him. Cast the fears to Him.